08 Aug 2019
A Code Blue extreme winter weather response for people sleeping rough has been activated for metropolitan Adelaide and parts of regional South Australia today. The Code Blue has been activated for today (Thursday 8 August) and overnight tonight due to expected heavy rain and strong winds.
During a Code Blue activation, Housing SA, together with its non-government partners, makes additional accommodation available for extended hours for people sleeping rough. Extra services have been provided for the metropolitan area.
Today’s Code Blue also applies in Mount Gambier, Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island, and people sleeping rough in these areas should contact the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308 for assistance.
In the metropolitan area:
- Baptist Care’s Westcare Centre will be open overnight night from 3pm Thursday 8 August through to 7am Friday 9 August. The Westcare Centre is located at 11/19 Millers Ct Adelaide.
- Hutt St Centre will extend its operating hours until 5pm on Thursday 8 August.
- Trace A Place (SYC) will extend its operating hours until 7pm on Thursday 8 August.
- Street to Home (Adelaide CBD street service) will have additional staff engaging with people sleeping rough during the Code Blue.
- The Homelessness Gateway Service will continue to operate 24 hours a day seven days a week. Anyone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness is encouraged to contact the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308.
In Mount Gambier, Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island, people should contact the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308.